Important Certifications to Look for in Your Co-packer

If you want to run a professional business, you would want the same from the other businesses that you hire. It is essential to know which certifications other companies have, and how those certifications can apply to your business. Here are some key certifications that food service businesses should have, and how those services will help you.

BRC- British Retail Consortium

BRC refers to a UK certification on food safety that has become the standard for food safety regulations around much of the world. A BRC certified co-packer will give you assurance that this company adheres to those safety regulations. Their necessary equipment will be up to safety standards, and it indicates that they take the health and safety of customers seriously. Trust is very important for people you hire, and this certification creates a place of trust between you and the co-packer. Many companies such as Dure Foods are given more legitimacy and trust because they have this certification.

HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point)

HACCP is another certification that assures safety and professionalism from its co-packers. HACCP follows seven principles that are designed to monitor the work area for problems, correct the problems and keep a record so the problems are known for the future. Under their “quality assurance” section, Dure Foods lists accordance with HACCP guidelines as the driving force of their quality and safety protocols. This statement emphasises the importance of the HACCP principles.

CFIA- Canadian Food Inspection Agency

A CFIA certification means that a person or business is able to trade or export food between countries or provinces. This is important if you want your business to cover multiple locations in different parts of Canada or the world. It also allows products to be exported to Canada, so if you need food products from other countries your co-packers would need to be CFIA certified to assist you.

NHP (Natural Health Products) Site License

The NHP license prepares co-packers for the job of manufacturing, packaging and importing food. A license from the National Health Products Directorate (NHCP) is essential for a co-packing business. This certificate indicates that the co-packer you are working with is officially approved by and complies to Canadian food regulations. Running a legitimate food business requires legitimate business partners, so it is essential to know that your co-packer has this certificate.

If you want to know more about these certificates, feel free to ask Dure Foods. We would love to talk to you and let you know what we can provide for your business.