Articles about private and white labelling for growing businesses, marketing and promotion

Important Certifications to Look for in Your Co-packer

If you want to run a professional business, you would want the same from the other businesses that you hire. It is essential to know which certifications other companies have, and how those certifications can apply to your business. Here are some key certifications that food service businesses should have, and how those services will help you.

BRC- British Retail Consortium

BRC refers to a UK certification on food safety that has become the standard for food safety regulations around much of the world. A BRC certified co-packer will give you assurance that this company adheres to those safety regulations. Their necessary equipment will be up to safety standards, and it indicates that they take the health and safety of customers seriously. Trust is very important for people you hire, and this certification creates a place of trust between you and the co-packer. Many companies such as Dure Foods are given more legitimacy and trust because they have this certification.

HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point)

HACCP is another certification that assures safety and professionalism from its co-packers. HACCP follows seven principles that are designed to monitor the work area for problems, correct the problems and keep a record so the problems are known for the future. Under their “quality assurance” section, Dure Foods lists accordance with HACCP guidelines as the driving force of their quality and safety protocols. This statement emphasises the importance of the HACCP principles.

CFIA- Canadian Food Inspection Agency

A CFIA certification means that a person or business is able to trade or export food between countries or provinces. This is important if you want your business to cover multiple locations in different parts of Canada or the world. It also allows products to be exported to Canada, so if you need food products from other countries your co-packers would need to be CFIA certified to assist you.

NHP (Natural Health Products) Site License

The NHP license prepares co-packers for the job of manufacturing, packaging and importing food. A license from the National Health Products Directorate (NHCP) is essential for a co-packing business. This certificate indicates that the co-packer you are working with is officially approved by and complies to Canadian food regulations. Running a legitimate food business requires legitimate business partners, so it is essential to know that your co-packer has this certificate.

If you want to know more about these certificates, feel free to ask Dure Foods. We would love to talk to you and let you know what we can provide for your business.

3 Important Questions a Co-Packer Will Ask You

Previously, we discussed questions that are important to ask a co-packer during the hiring process. However, it is also important to anticipate questions that the potential co-packing client may have for you. Since this is a mutual partnership, the co-packer will also want to know if you are a good fit for them. Here are some questions you should prepare for when discussing a partnership with a co-packer:

What is your product?

The first question a co-packer will likely ask is what kind of food products your business makes. Obviously, this tells the co-packer if they are able to produce the desired recipes, but it also gives you an opportunity the showcase the identity of your food business. It’s easy enough to just give the co-packer a list of ingredients and food options, but you can also mention the unique style or approach you want to take with your recipes.

Keep in mind you’re selling your brand and ideas as much as your product. Find a way to stand out from other businesses to make yours more enticing to potential clients. Dure Foods is open to a variety of products and styles, and we would be open to discuss any of your business plans.

Where is the product made?

If you hire a co-packer, there needs to be a space large enough for them to make the product. Do you already have a location for them to work, or are you looking for a co-packer that already has their own workspace? If you don’t have your own space, you would have to make sure the co-packer can provide this themselves. If you do have your own space, do you have the necessary facilities, tools and safety measures that co-packers need?

These questions must be anticipated because you need an idea of where and how the product is going to be made before you collaborate with a co-packer. If you do not have your own space, not to worry. Dure Foods can offer our own space for food production.

What are your business plans for the future?

A co-packer will want to know what your future plans are for your business. Are you planning to expand in the next few years? The co-packer may be a good fit now, but are they large enough to keep up on a larger scale? If you want a long term partnership with a co-packer, you should have a clear idea of your business plans so they can prepare along with you, or let you know that it won’t work out. Dure Foods is flexible with many plans, and we can continue to work with you as your business expands.

If you want to work with our team at Dure Foods, we will discuss these topics openly, and offer many kinds of arrangements and partnerships with our clients. Contact us and we will create a plan that works for you and our company.